On 15.11.2016 15:14, Peter Berghold wrote:
> wish that were the case.  Nope:  running the same command from the
> command line yields the results I'm after.  Since the script runs as
> tomcat8 and tomcat8 is trusted between the hosts I'm at a complete loss
> as to why this is happening.

Really?
When manuall trying ssh to a remote slave, you *must* do that *as the
jenkins user* not with your user-account. That's because ssh stores the
remote host keys in $HOME/.ssh/known_hosts and $HOME of jenkins points
most likely somewhere else than with *your* user account. Therefore do
the following on your jenkins master:

1. sudo -i
2. su - jenkins
   (or whatever your jenkins user is named on the master)
3. ssh rhelhost
   (or ssh otheruser@hrelhost if named different than your master
   jenkins user)

If *that* works *without* being asked any hostkey-questions, then
jenkins should be able to login too.

If *that* works *whithout* questions but jenkins still complains about
the host key, then the only explanation would be that $HOME inside the
running jenkins points somewhere else.

And BTW:
>         I have Jenkins running merrily on an Ubuntu box and want to set
>         up a slave on an RHEL box.
If you merely want a slave host you neither need tomcat or any special
scripts for starting slave.jar, Just java on the rhel host.
If jenkins can login via ssh, it does everything automatically (copying
slave jar to the rhel-machine and starting it etc).

Cheers
 -Fritz