I guess this is not the first report on the build abort action not working
in a pipeline (based on past mails I see this group). I write to
demonstrate a full example where this doesn't work. Here is my pipeline in
it's entiry

node('mvn-3.3-jdk-8') {
  stage('stoopid grep') {
    sh 'grep aa -R /'
  }
}

Notice that this pipeline does nothing but kick off a single long running
shell command. grep is known to respect SIGINT on pretty much every *nix
out there. So the expectation on trying to abort this build would be for
the step to stop executing on reception of SIGINT. However, the grep
continues to run and issuing multiple abort requests throws up the familiar
*Click
here to forcibly terminate running steps* message. Clicking on it issues a
different signal, presumably SIGKILL and this seems to get reliably
delivered to the process. The question of course is why is SIGINT not
getting delivered to the shell command whereas SIGKILL does seem to get
delivered.

The slave is/was launched using the mesos cloud i.e. it connects over JNLP
and not ssh