Thank you, slide.
I didnt change anything, or at least tried to avoid any other changes, in
fact I saw the incompatibility warnings and upgraded therefore only jira
plugin, it brought upgrades of other plugins automatically (scm api2,
branch api, folder etc). And as I said, I tested the upgrade on a fresh
Jenkins 2.44 installation, with no plugins installed by the wizard, only
jira 2.3 thereafter, and the same error occured.
Since my test with issues.jenkins-ci.org works just fine, it seems to me
that our Jira server might be the culprit, although 2.2.1 and older worked
with our jira without issues.
I also suspect that the underlying apache httpcomponents might cause some
version specific imcompatibilities (our jira server is v6,
issues.jenkins-ci.org is v7+), tried to debug down to jira-plugin, but did
not yet tracked it down (still trying).