No doubt there are numerous tutorials and plugins that support this
"marriage", but when we ask the question "why?", what is the answer?
Jenkins is has a very wide range of applications after all, it can do
deployments by itself.

I would say that usually the reason for users is: "Jenkins will build,
tests and bundle packages, while Octopus takes the whole responsibility of
deployment, where Octopus is focused and particularly good at"

Jenkins is an overall automation and CI tool, Octopus is focused on
deployment automation (and over the years not only .NET).

To illustrate the question and ask Jenkins/Jenkins+Octopus users for a
second opinion: I've been challenged with requirement:
- client wants to have a on-demand test environment in AWS that has to be
instantiated automatically whenever new releases of business software are
ready.
- the infrastructure consists of multiple VMs provisioned by choice of
DevOps with Terraform/Puppet and some other tools
- the business applications consist of both .NET and non-dot-net
applications - all can be automated in deployment.

The two approaches we have discussed are:
1. Jenkins job fires terraform, puppet, etc. to build up the
infrastructure, and then triggers Octopus via API to release only the
business applications. This approach was proposed based on the opinion that
Octopus is not for orchestration and mainly for .NET applications. DevOps
don't use it to orchestrate the infrastructure, use the right tools for the
right job.
2. OR Jenkins is for build, test, and package the applications, where the
set of infrastructure (terraform/puppet) scripts are just one of them. All
are deployed from Octopus, infrastructure first, applications second. Clear
distinction of responsibility, despite the opinion that Octopus is doing
something it wasn't designed for.

What is your opinion? Why we use Jenkins+Octopus and how would we use this
pair in a dynamic cloud scenario like above which is becoming more and more
popular.

BR
Wojtek/Dojo