On 29 May 2017 at 06:47, Andreas Tscharner <sternenfe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22.05.2017 10:13, Andreas Tscharner wrote:
>
>> Hello World,
>>

> Hello again,
>
> [snip]
>
>> FATAL: Befehlsausführung fehlgeschlagen
>> java.io.IOException: Backing channel 'JNLP4-connect connection from
>> build-vm1/192.168.168.160:1033' is disconnected.
>>
> [snip]
>
> I have found some more information in /var/log/jenkins/jenkins.log:
>

> Mai 28, 2017 2:02:59 PM hudson.slaves.ChannelPinger$1 onDead
> INFORMATION: Ping failed. Terminating the channel JNLP4-connect connection
> from build-vm3/192.168.168.162:1033.
> java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Ping started at 1495972739294
> hasn't completed by 1495972979294
>         at hudson.remoting.PingThread.ping(PingThread.java:130)
>         at hudson.remoting.PingThread.run(PingThread.java:86)
>

> I've calculated the value between those two timestamps: 240000. I suppose
> that are ms which would be 4 minutes.
> Is there anything I could do? Why would the ping be dead for more than 4
> minutes?

The ping is an application level ping, i.e. it submits a command into the
command queue and waits for the response to be generated.
The command channel can be functioning, but if there is a backlog in the
command queue on either side and the command takes longer than 4 minutes
(configurable) then the channel is disconnected.

The command queue is single threaded. So there are multiple things that can
cause the issue, e.g.:

* Transferring large artifacts between the master and the agent
* Plugin causing deadlock on the agent and prevent
* etc

You may want to investigate the agent logs

You may want to monitor Disk I/O and CPU and memory usage (especially if
running all things on the one machine)

You may want to monitor Network I/O if running agents over a remote network

HTH