Yes I upgraded some plugins and restarted jenkins a few hours before this
happened. But after that several builds of this job went fine, so I'm
thinking it must be something else that has triggered the SOE.

Changing the agent declaration in the pipeline script I did using the
"Replay" function, which could also be the reason for the SOE. Will test
dropping those builds first, and if that doesnt help try to drop whole job
and/or downgrade plugins.