On 21 June 2017 at 01:16, Michael Neale <mne...@cloudbees.com> wrote:

> Mark do you have a scan interval set?
>
> Should the github events include removing of branch projects? as that
> doesn't seem to be happening lately (since a few months).

So the multibranch API does not allow us to know if an event about a branch
being removed from one source means that the job is now orphaned.

You can have multiple sources, in which case removing the branch in one
source may mean that a lower-priority source now claims ownership of the
branch.

If we have one and only one source (ACK that this is likely the majority
case) then and only then can we know that an event removing a branch has
orphaned an item... but even that doesn't get us far.

The orphaned item strategy may say keep the last 10... so now, in an event
we actually have to go and collect all the currently orphaned items, sort
them by last active and then trim the oldest... which makes the event code
cease being single responsibility as the branch the event was for may or
may not correspond to the job being removed... perhaps the solution is that
we limit the event to deleting its own job if it is not in the last 10...

Oh but it gets worse... the strategy mat say keep for at least 7 days... so
now, in an event, we should not delete the orphaned item, rather we should
queue up a task to run in 7 days time that would then delete the item (not
quite true, the current implementation uses the time of last build... but
it should be the time of last event, and I will probably fix that soon)

So in reality, you just need to run the periodic indexing... we could tweak
that periodic indexing to have a two layer support, e.g. if there are
orphaned items or no events then run every 8h otherwise run every 7 days...
the UI would need thinking but a two layer support might not be a bad idea