P asked:

Ø  So how do you guys use jenkins slaves on VMware ? Do you use existing VMs ?

I use vsphere slaves extensively, but only as existing VMs.  I never managed to
get a dynamically-constructed slaves to actually work, but perhaps there is
some magic combination of undocumented incantations that does it.  I have many
Developers who leave all kinds of cruft around from their builds, install
prereq packages, reconfigure ssh keys, ntp, dns, etc in their build steps.  I
use the vsphere plugin to reset the slave back to a known-good condition at the
start of the next build (that leaves the slave as the previous build left it,
so I can debug what went wrong).

Its somewhat unfortunate that the plugin only uses vcenter api, as otherwise I
could use the free version of esxi and also not need the $12k vcenter licence
in this stack.  The software licences cost about 3x what the hardware costs, so
you know something is wrong with that model.

For many job types, I also use the CloudBees Docker plugin to build jobs that
do not build Docker images and do not require a different kernel or libc to
build correct product.  It seems to be the only one that actually works, and
provides the pristine environment for a lot less overhead.  I wish there was
some kind of quality information associated with each Jenkins plugin, as there
is a *LOT* of crap in the library.

I used to use the Debian pbuilder containers with a pretty large set of
scripted wrappers in the C++ builds, but Docker images are an improvement.

If you need, I can send you my config changes that I use to thread the needle…