Victor, thanks for the help here.  I have played with the 'changed' action
and also currentBuild.result and currentBuild?.getPreviousBuild(), but it
looks like this variable is null unless explicitly set in one of the
pipeline stages.  What I really want is the status Jenkins uses to
determine which post condition is applicable, i.e. success, failure, etc.
 It knows somehow, presumably based on $? values from each step.