I wouldn't call that behavior "normal".  I'm new to Jenkins pipelines and
Groovy scripting, and this has been the single most maddening thing to
overcome in my attempts to learn the environment.  On what planet does it
make sense that enclosing something in a node block, where the only
argument is a node label, and where the block is enclosed in {} braces
(which defines an isolated "scope" in every other language I can think of)
does not cause the label to become used as the default for everything
defined therein?  The backflips you have to go through to overcome this are
ridiculous.  I find both the "node" and "agent" constructs as implemented
by the Jenkins pipeline mechanism to be completely useless.