> If you use the dir('dest-dir') { checkout scm } syntax, you avoid using
that special case from the git plugin, and have something that is
maintained in code (and looks like pipeline), rather than something that
looks like a special case of the git plugin.

This works, but the code is cloned twice.  Once in the workspace, then
again into the sub directory defined by dir('dest-dir'), in the same
workspace.  I assume there is no way around this, as Jenkinsfile needs to
be found, to be able to use it.  But I figured I would ask.  Thanks.