I guess that either I misread this page, or it is out of date already...
https://jenkins.io/doc/book/blueocean/creating-pipelines/ .  It says "You
now need to specify a local
<https://jenkins.io/doc/book/blueocean/creating-pipelines/#local-repository> or
a remote
<https://jenkins.io/doc/book/blueocean/creating-pipelines/#remote-repository>
repository
from which to build your Pipeline project".  I was trying to test
converting our existing system to pipeline, and getting permission and
funding for another large GitHub repository was not in the cards right now,
so, I was attempting to do this work on a test system, with the repository
there.  I will try a Git repository on a different\remote system.  We do
not have Linux, and I do not have that experience (only Windows).

It also said "Note: Under the hood, a Pipeline project created through Blue
Ocean is actually "multibranch Pipeline". Therefore, Jenkins looks for the
presence of at least one Jenkinsfile in any branch of your repository.  So,
your comment "Blue Ocean is not limited to multibranch Pipelines," is news
to me.

My version of Jenkins is actually 2.176.2 (on my test VM), as I did
recently upgrade it.  When I mentioned 2.107, I was probably looking at the
actual production system.   I cannot even keep the current classic Jenkins
build system up to date (I see all kinds of red warnings when I go into
Manage), but it is feared that any change could possible cause a problem
that could delay a build or the release of the product.  So thus I try to
work on a test system.  We are behind corp firewalls, so they that figure
that the production system is safe.

I had worked my way through the cloudbees Blue Ocean tutorial, but only
with help from them.  I cannot recommend it.  I have found over the years,
that people who put together online course and write books, have someone
who is already familiar with the context, and can fill in the missing
pieces, do the reviewing.  No one uses someone new to the subject matter
try to work through it, to see if it really can be understood, and
completed successfully. Unless you are a real DevOps type, it can be
difficult to understand the documentation.  Also a lot the
courses\tutorials\books are using containers.  Again something that I do
not see them allowing me to play with, so that rules them out.  I had
recently purchased the book "Beginning Jenkins Blue Ocean".  No where in
the online information did it mention Docker, but that is what the book
requires.

I do appreciate you responding, and I will look at the links that you
listed.