Just double checking this, at the below link it says the only way to use
pipeline as code is to use the multi Branch pipeline configuration. Is this
really true?

https://jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline-as-code/

I thought perhaps there was a way to configure a job that doesn't monitor for
branches and create corresponding jobs, but simply pulls a Jenkins file from
SCM.

Perhaps this behavior I describe is just a subset of what multi-branch pipeline
can do? So to achieve my simple behavior I just use multi-branch Pipeline and
configure it to not monitor for new branches?