Hello,

our CI system is reachable under different names (by ssh port forwarders
running on some machines - background/reason below).
So you can access the system as something like
http://system1.domain:9999
and
http://system2.domain:9999

Actually Jenkins is running e.g. on "system1".
Jenkins itself "knows" this, via the setting in "Jenkins Location" /
"Jenkins URL" in the configuration.
In a CI job, this is visible via the shell variable JENKINS_URL.
All fine and nice.

Now I can get the list of nodes in CI using
/usr/bin/wget  --auth-no-challenge --no-proxy
"http://system1.domain:9999//computer/api/xml?xpath=*/computer/displayName&wrapper=foo";

-O "/tmp/Ymy2V19UpB"
"Unfortunately" for the master, this just returns "master".

So, how can I retrieve the hostname of the master ? (When the call is not
done in a CI job - I need this for administration from "outside")
I either seem to need JENKINS_URL or a way to get the full hostname of the
master.
Because of the port forwarder, a script doesn't know if Jenkins is running
on 'system1' or 'system2', so the URL used in "wget" above, doesn't help.

How can I get that ?
I've searched the Web, the REST API and the CLI-interface (using
jenkins-cli.jar) in vain.

Regards

Martin

We use this approach, because we swap the physical machine on Jenkins core
updates, to keep the old state for some time for a possibly needed fallback.
To the users we "hide" this via the port forwarder, so they don't need the
current physical name. This way URLs like e.g. on mails from CI stay valid.