Dear all,

We had serious regressions in the 2.204.x LTS baseline starting from
2.204.3 which was released on Feb 28 (changelog
<https://jenkins.io/changelog-stable/>). After that we had 2 out-of-order
releases over a week, with 3 major regressions reported by Jenkins LTS
users. These regressions were largely related to the embedded Jetty web
container updates in the LTS baseline. In 2.204.5 we also had to
reintroduce a defect in the LTS release, and it is also far from business
as usual.

I have started a public retrospective document
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NzR1XtkCfk6MDSD1jRq5H-iPSjqKvP-pfUO0b9lVZ9k/edit?usp=sharing>
to restore the sequence of events and to discuss what we could do better in
the next releases. Anyone is welcome to comment in the doc and to make
suggestions there. If you are a Jenkins user affected by the issues, your
feedback will be much appreciated as well. Thanks in advance for your time!

I also suggest organizing a recorded video call next week to discuss the
retrospective feedback. If you are interested to participate, please vote
for the meeting times here: https://doodle.com/poll/xrhpmsk9xpba2tfh

Just to emphasize, the purpose of the retrospective  is to improve our
processes and to ensure better quality of LTS and weekly releases. The
regressions were caused by numerous causes and they passed though all our
quality gates, there is no sense to put blame on any Jenkins team. There
are many contributors involved in the core maintenance, and we do our best
to provide stable releases, including weekends and burning the midnight
oil. Please refrain from putting a blame and let's focus on making Jenkins
releases more stable.

P.S: We are always looking for more contributors
<https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md> and
reviewers/maintainers in the Jenkins core. If you are interested to
help with maintaining the kernel of the project with millions of developers
using it daily, please let us know!

Best regards,
Oleg Nenashev
Jenkins Core Team