Ok, I think I see it now.  Pipeline builds are WorkflowJob not
AbstractProject, which is why it never reaches the line that schedules the
next build.

And, I think I found a viable workaround.  At the end of my pipeline
script, use the http request plugin to issue a request to
<my-jenkins-server>/git/notifyCommit?url=<my-repo>, triggering a poll which
will start another execution of the job if it finds changes to build.

Thanks for the help.
Keith