SVN does not download .svn folders, it creates them while performing a
checkout.
The .svn folders are documented in:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn-book.html#svn.basic.in-action.wc.
With the older Jenkins instance every SVN checkout must have created a .svn
folder too. Maybe you just didn't take note of them before the switch to
your newer Jenkins instance, for whatever reason.