I've been using JCasC to configure Jenkins LTS and the role-based auth plugin
for a long time, and today I tested starting a new server running LTS 2.303.1.
 All else remaining the same (Java version, plugin versions), 2.289.3 starts
fine, but 2.303.1 crashes on startup in the JCasC configuration.

I bundle the plugins for JCasC, RBAC, LDAP in the deployment:

ldap 2.7
rbac 3.2.0
jcasc 1.5.2
Java - OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build
1.8.0_292-8u292-b10-0ubuntu1~18.04-b10)

Does this have anything to do with the unbundling of the LDAP plugin?   If so,
how to I add this to the initial deployment, other than putting the .hpi file
in the Jenkins/plugins directory?

I ran a test where I started a new deployment of 2.303.1, with my JCasC
configuration of LDAP and RBAC.  It failed as below.  But a test where I
launched with 2.298.3, and then upgraded to 2.303.1 worked with the same
configuration file.

How are we supposed to do this, how to compensate for the unbundled plugins?

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot resolve permission for ID: View/Create
        at
org.jenkinsci.plugins.rolestrategy.casc.RoleDefinition.getRole(RoleDefinition.java:52)
        at
org.jenkinsci.plugins.rolestrategy.casc.RoleDefinition.<init>(RoleDefinition.java:41)
Caused: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
        at
sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62)
        at
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423)
        at
io.jenkins.plugins.casc.impl.configurators.DataBoundConfigurator.tryConstructor(DataBoundConfigurator.java:173)
Caused: io.jenkins.plugins.casc.ConfiguratorException: roleDefinition: Failed
to construct instance of class
org.jenkinsci.plugins.rolestrategy.casc.RoleDefinition.
Constructor: public
org.jenkinsci.plugins.rolestrategy.casc.RoleDefinition(java.lang.String,java.lang.String,java.lang.String,java.util.Collection,java.util.Collection).
Arguments: [java.lang.String, null, java.lang.String, java.util.ArrayList,
java.util.ArrayList].
Expected Parameters: name java.lang.String, description java.lang.String,
pattern java.lang.String, permissions java.util.Collection<java.lang.String>,
assignments java.util.Collection<java.lang.String>