Hi,

I've been struggling with this problem all day and wonder if someone can
help me. I have a Java class (say A) with a global variable referring to an
instance of jess.Rete (say inferenceEngine), which is also passed to other
objects which are member variables of A. This class loads a batch file of
rules, some of which need to call back to the class, so I store a reference
to A in inferenceEngine, with Rete.store("A", this).

One of my rules calls back to A which then performs an operation (event
unsubscription). The callback occurs, and the method in A is called, but
then when this method goes on to perform the event unscription, the method
never returns. No error, no stacktrace at all.

The event subscription includes within it a delivery callback class which
itself has a reference to the inferenceEngine from A. The event code is in
native C++ (accessed through JNI), so I do not have a good understanding of
how the unsubscription occurs, but I suspect it would involve deleting the
delivery callback class, with its reference to the inferenceEngine.

If I call the method from within class A, the unsubscription works
perfectly!!! Could there be some reason why this should not be the case when
the method is called from Jess (I suspect something to do with the fact that
the same instance of jess.Rete is passed throughout). As I said, control is
transferred to A, but a subsequent method call never returns.

Thank you kindly for your time and I would greatly apprciate any insight
into this problem!

Greg

Greg Biegel
Distributed Systems Group