I am using a simple defquery to find a fact and then modify it.
The fact is a shadow fact. I verify that the shadow mode is set correctly when I create the definstance. When I retrieve the query result and try to invoke the method "modify" I am seeing a NullPointerException. I tracked it down to the shadow mode being wrong for the fact being modified. It now thinks that it is a regular fact.
What can cause this change? Unfortunately I am unable to reproduce this using a simple java bean class. As far as I can see the setShadowMode method on the Fact class is not being called after the first call.

I am using Jess6.1.

Any insight into why this is happening?

Thanks in advance,

Lakshmi