Both suggestions are equally useful.. thanks.. I'll check in the API for
registering a listener with the jess engine (is it for the whole engine, or
by rule?)

As well, i'm already using log4j in my java wrapper classes I make use of
Engine's in.. so I will just STORE a logger and use it to track various
'inferred' pieces of information.

Thanks both of you for your help

Roger S