Certainly the COLLECTING of the transaction information is simple and easy.
That doesn't necessarily need an expert system.  But the PROCESSING of the
transactions once collected is complex.  We deal mostly with hospitals, so there
are issues of shift differentials, overtime, bonuses, etc.  And each place has
there own way of paying their people.  Sometimes overtime occurs after 40 hours,
sometimes it occurs if you work more than 8 hours in a day.  Some people move
from department to department, and the hours/overtime must be distributed
between departments.  That distribution can be any number of different ways.
We've had 20 years of experience collecting all the different rules different
places use to pay their people.  And we need a system that can accomodate, well,
most of them.

So, ultimately, there are alot of rules involved.  Certainly more than the page
suggested as a rule of thumb.  These could be written in the traditional way
using a procedural language.  We have done it in COBOL before.  That was a big,
hairy mess after it was tweaked and modified and fixed over time.  We are in the
process of a rewrite.  So I was considering whether using a rule based system
would provide the benefits that I've heard that they provide:  A better
separation between different rules allowing easier maintenance.

Maybe an ES a good fit.  Maybe not.  There will certainly be advantages and
disadvantages to solving our problems using this type of solution.  We
ultimately need to decide which advantages out weigh the disadvantages for each
solution.  And these discussions are invaluable for that process.  So I thank
you and all who have answered for their feedback.

-Chuck.

DATA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 06/05/2000 01:36:29 PM