I suspect that what is happening is that some part of "yada-yada"
involves handing a reference to dontSerialMe to Jess -- returning it
from a method, or adding it to a container of some sort.  This
reference will not be transient, and hence the error.

Carefully scrutinize your code to figure out where this is happening.

I think Ed Meier wrote:
> Jess folk,
>
>     I have a situation where I need to put a non-serializable object into my
>UserFunction for Jess to call. It is out of my control to make the object
>serializable.  I declared it "transient" but I still get "not serializable" errors.
>
> Like so:
>
> class CallMeBack implements UserFunction, Serializable
> {
>
>   private transient NotSerializing dontSerialMe;
>
>   public getName (..)
>   {
>
>     yada-yada
>
>   }
>
> }
>

> Must my callback function implement Serializable?
>
> Is there anything I should know about Jess and serialization with respect to
>transient variables?
>
> I suspect the error is on somebody else, but I just want to check to be sure.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ed Meier
> Clark Software Engineering, Ltd.
> Dayton, OH

Distributed Systems Research        Phone: (925) 294-2154
Org. 8920, MS 9012                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PO Box 969                  http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov
Livermore, CA 94550