Hello. I'm working on ways to do something like
this with Jess:

1) given some evidence, collect all possible
    diagnoses

2) once all diagnoses have been asserted, find
    any conflicting diagnoses (basically I want to
    do something like:

    "If there exists a diagnosis-fact X and a distinct
     diagnosis-fact Y s.t. X and Y agree on some particulars
     but disagree on other particulars, then
     assert(needs-resolution (X Y))"

3) and then later on down the road, use some sort of
    merge-logic or graph partitioning to merge compatible
    diagnoses and resolve conflicting diagnoses

Is stage (2) possible within Jess? I see in
the documentation that the (exists) CE does not let
you bind the triggering fact -- from a performance
point-of-view, I understand why that restriction
must exist.

So my question is, what's the best way to do this?
I suppose I could add a JessListener and then build
a graph of the relevant facts (where I connect edge(X,Y)
iff X and Y are compatible).

Is there a more elegant approach to step 2? Or indeed,
if a more elegant approach exists to the whole problem,
please let me know.

The restrictions are, it must be based on or in Jess,
not extremely computationally expensive, and implementable
in Java by someone who's not a genius (aka myself).

Thanks,
        Chad Loder