This is a reply to a message on the JESS list, but it should be interesting
to the JADE and Protege list as well. There is a book on JESS in the making
and it might or might not contain a chapter on ontologies

At 05:01 PM 5/1/2002 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I think Frederico Luiz Goncalves de Freitas wrote:
> >
> > Hi Ernest and all,
> >

> > I suggest you to include the ways in which frame-based ontologies
> > can be used by jess, i.e., at least some citation about JessTab
> > Protege plug-in ( see Protege site ) and also some developments made
> > to use Jess with DAML, XML, etc.
>
>Certainly all of these things will be mentioned, but I'm afraid I'm
>not really qualified to say much about them. If anyone wanted to
>contribute an essay about one or more of these projects, however...

I would be motivated if I saw a way to tackle the licensing issues
connected to JESS. To be more precise: I would happily distribute a
demonstration integration of JESS with an ontology editor and a multi agent
system, sending parts of ontologies in agent messages, transforming
ontologies via JESS rules etc., but there is always the problem of JESS
copyright. All other packages I used (JADE, Protege-2000, JessTab) are open
source, therefore a complete demonstration could be distributed if Sandia
would let me. I would even be happy to provide a complete example for the
JESS book but how would Sandia handle JESS copyright on examples contained
in the book? Will everything expire after a month?

:) Oliver Hoffmann