Hi John,

I've used Jess & Ilog rules last year and found that JRules was less than 5%
faster than Jess. Regarding that it was an old version of Jess (5.x), may be
both products had evolved in a good direction, so it's not that easy to say
right now which one is the best.

Ilog is bundled with an IDE and an integrated debugger, it's supposed to help
you writing rules, but I don't think that it's an idea that is really
important. When you're stuck in one hundred rules and ten thousands facts and
your engine just don't give you the expected answer, a gallon of strong coffee,
one full week-end and a clear brain are surely more helpfull! Marketing ...

I must say that I've used an abstract layer above those two products because my
client didn't want to choose a product at the beginning of the project, so the
rules where basically the same, and I didn't used any optimization that seems
to be offered by Ilog.

Both of those two products are equally efficient, but I must admit that I
prefer Jess, because its syntax is much more easy to understand, and it's
easier to implement in a Java program. (it's cool to be able to import a txt
file containing a rule !)

I don't know anything about Versata.

Just my 2 cents...