Dr. Friedman-Hill, I thought I'd ask this to the list instead of
directly as others might be interested:

I'm curious if you have plans to improve Jess' query mechanism,
particuarly regarding the retrieval of facts? Maybe such changes have
been made in the latest versions, but I didn't get that impression.

Since the retrieval of facts in query results is mostly based on the
position of the fact in the query (indexing by number), I'm concerned
about their robustness. If I change a query in a library to add more
conditions or improve its efficiency, I might be able to change my code,
but other users of the library might have some difficulty detecting and
correcting the problem. Is there a fundamental property of the query
mechanism/implementation that would make it difficult to return a list
of variable/binding pairs instead of the facts which matched the
pattern? If that's infeasible, would it be difficult to provide a
mechanism to label facts and index that way instead of numerically?

I apologize if things in this vein have already been done and I just
completely missed them. Thanks

--
- joe kopena