[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I think Alan Moore wrote:
> [Charset iso-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> > Greetings,
> >
> > This is going to sound really dumb...
> >

> > I have a SimpleBean that has two properties property1 and
> > property2. I also have two rules each matching one of the
> > properties.
> >
> > When one of the properties changes, both rules fire even though only
> > one pattern has a reference to the changed property slot.
> >
> > Has Jess always worked this way or has this behavior changed
> > recently?
>
> Jess has always worked this way. Beans are exactly like Facts, which
> behave exactly as they did in CLIPS. We've talked about changing this
> behavior, and that might happen, but it wouldn't be free. Either facts
> would have to change, too, or you'd lose some of the nice symmetry
> that exists now. It's too radical of a change to be a runtime option.
>
> Of course, every time I say something like this in public, the next
> day I think of a way to do it anyway...

I'd favor this a lot ... maybe a concept might be to map Java beans not
to facts but rather to some kind of 'objects' (as COOL in Clips, which
*do* behave as desired, i.e.
here a rule fires only if any of the involved object properties has
changed, real facts instead behave as in Jess).

Maybe you could even adopt the Clips syntax ...

(defrule fire-fact
  (templ-fact (slot ?a) ...)
=>
)

and

(defrule fire-fact
  (object (is-a templ-obj) (slot ?a) ...)
=>
)

where 'templ-fact' is a deftemplate and 'templ-obj' a defclass.

Of course this would require major user Jess code modifications, unless
maybe you accept both formats above, and switch the behavior depending
on the flavor - the first rule fires with the current policy (if *any*
slot of the fact/bean changes), the latter with the alternate policy.
This way you could have both and would be even backward compatible.

Regards,
        tge

> Ernest Friedman-Hill
> Distributed Systems Research        Phone: (925) 294-2154
> Sandia National Labs                FAX:   (925) 294-2234
> Org. 8920, MS 9012                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> PO Box 969                  http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov
> Livermore, CA 94550

> in the BODY of a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED], NOT to the list
> (use your own address!) List problems? Notify [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                 Thomas Gentsch