It would be marvelous to see a preprint of the
diagnostic assistant.

------------------ Reply Separator --------------------
Originally From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Re[2]: JESS: Educational examples in business-consulting
Date: 10/24/2002 07:54am

I think [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I mean not very big and complex examples from *business-consulting*
or
> *e-commerce* or *trading* or *marketing* or something like these
> problem areas (not monkey-and-bananas or goat-and-cabbage examples).
> Thanx once more.

A realistic rule-based system is a complicated thing, and much of the
value of such a system as an example is seeing how it fits into its
context -- i.e., how it interfaces to other software. Therefore even a
smallish example requires a decent amount of documentation to be
useful. This probably explains why there have NEVER been any really
useful, fully-developed tutorial examples available for ANY rule
engine: they just take too much work to assemble.

The lack of good examples, and the realization that good examples need
a lot of explaining, is what inspired me to write the Jess book, which
is a kind of cookbook that spends 500 pages explaining a series of
fully-developed examples in realistic contexts. There's an e-commerce
system, an information kiosk, a diagnostic assistant, a soft real-time
control system, and some business-rules tools including a remote rule
server and some XML-related things. The book also has six chapters on
the Jess language, and detailed discussions of how Jess can be
extended in Java and embedded into Java programs. There's also a lot
of material about testing rule-based systems and an example testing
framework. The book will be published in April by Manning Press. There
may be some preprint material available -- stay tuned for
announcements.

Distributed Systems Research        Phone: (925) 294-2154
Org. 8920, MS 9012                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PO Box 969                  http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov
Livermore, CA 94550

[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
(use your own address!) List problems? Notify owner-jess-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]