Title: RE: JESS: Java Beans

> What I need is to have a Java program, may or may not be a
> bean, load Jess and a set of rules and 'pass' some object, a
> DOM document is a good example, and have the rules process
> the object.

The manual has several places where this is documented, see:

Jess Functions:

(batch)
(definstance)
(store)
(fetch)

API docs:

Jesp.parse()
Rete#definstance()
Rete#store()
Rete#fetch()

Also, Ernest's most excellent book has extensive examples of integration between jess and java.

http://www.manning.com/catalog/view.php?book=friedman-hill

> >From the documentation and examples, it seems like objects that are
> manipulated by Jess have to provide a change listener and
> chance support.  Is this correct?

(definstance) and Rete#definstance() both allow either dynamic (beans that support PropertyChangeEventListern interface) or static java objects.

Good luck!

alan