I think Steffen Luypaert wrote:

> I replicated my error to a simple version that can immediately be saved
> to a Jess batch file for execution:

This doesn't give any errors when I run it with Jess 6.1p7, either as
you show it, or modified as I explain below.

> (definstance loan (new Loan foo alles) static)

The reason for the loan is given as "alles", or "any" in German.

> (defrule test-rule-logical
>       (logical (loan (id ?id) (reason "any"|?reason) ))

Here you've got the word "any" in English...

> (defrule test-rule-no-logical
>       (loan (id ?id) (reason "alles"|?reason))

But here again you've got "alles", in German. Jess isn't,
unfortunately, smart enough to understand that these two words mean
the same thing.

> 1. The test-rule-no-logical works in any case. The (ok) fact gets
> asserted, both for the loan regular fact and the loan shadowfact.
> 2. The test-rule-logical never works correctly.

If I change "any" to "alles" I find that both rules fire just fine.

> For the loan shadowfact, the loan pattern gives the bad index error
> after the answer fact is asserted(so probably when the loan pattern
> gets patternmatched).

This doesn't happen for me. I wonder if you're using the latest patch
level (6.1p7) or if you've modified your copy?