I think Simon Harris wrote:
> Ahh. Quite right you are. I'm a fool! When JESS complained about "Logical
> CEs can't follow non-logical" what it really means is "Logical CEs can't
> follow non-logical" :-). I'll remember to read the messages more carefully
> next time.

Comprehensible error messages aren't one of Jess's best features.

> So I guess the question becomes: is it more effecient to use salience?

It could go either way, depending on the program. If you tend to have
large conflict sets -- i.e., many rules activated at once -- then
salience adds noticeably to the overhead of managing the agenda. If
you have very small conflict sets, then salience is fairly
cheap. (logical), on the other hand, is more of a constant overhead,
independent of problem size.