I'm a bit confused by your statement:

" We will need our own set of GUI functions actualy running in a servlet

environment."

This doesn't seem to make sense (GUI functions running in a servlet
environment?).

To address the portion of you posting that I think I do understand, I'll
discuss the issue of using Jess within a GUI based java application.  In
addition to referencing the examples in the JIA (Jess In Action book),
let me say that we have built a thick-client GUI application using the
Eclipse RCP platform with Jess running smoothly beneath the covers.

It all came off without a hitch (...so far, anyway ;)).

If you are more interested in a Swing based GUI (as opposed to SWT,
IBM's equivalent of Swing), this won't be a problem either.

FWIW, I'm currently investigating the use of Jess as the Controller in
our thick-client MVC architecture.  This allows us to have our form
validation logic codified as rules.  This may be overkill for simple
forms, but we are developing a powerful data-entry grid (spreadsheet)
with interdependent cells and dynamically updated views.  Change data in
a single cell in the grid and Jess takes care of grid validation and
updating the Model or any other related views (our current spaghetti
validation logic is killing us).  My main concern is performance, which
is why I am "investigating", but based on my past experience with Jess,
I'm feeling optimistic.

-Mitch