I think J. Michael Dean wrote:
> Sorry.  I was reading the manual Section 8.2 (Definstance facts),
> where you postulate a Java Bean called ExampleBean.  That's sitting
> in Java.  The next paragraph shows, from an interactive session with
> Jess, the command (defclass simple ExampleBean).  How does Jess know
> about ExampleBean in the first place?  Where does it get imported, or
> how does Jess access the Bean, etc.  That is my confusion here.

Jess just uses the normal Java ClassLoader mechanism for finding
classes. That means, for example, in a standalone application, Jess
will find any class on the class path if you mention it by name in
Jess code.  Jess will also use the "context ClassLoader" in a Web app,
and you can even tell it to use a particular ClassLoader using the
Rete constructor that takes an "app object" as a constructor
parameter.

"import" does the same thing as it does in Java -- lets you leave off
the package part of the name, nothing more. "ExampleBean" is in the
default package so no import is needed here.