My guess for this kind of exception is that , Jess.jar file is not available in the class path. My suggestion would be, write the code(non-servlet based test code) in Eclipse or any other IDE. Once the code executes, you should be on your way to using the servlet code in Tomcat
-Zafer

Ana (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: jess/JessException
        java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method)
        java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Unknown Source)
        java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Unknown Source)
        java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
        java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)

org.apache.catalina.servlets.InvokerServlet.serveRequest(InvokerServlet.java:369)

org.apache.catalina.servlets.InvokerServlet.doPost(InvokerServlet.java:169)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:709)

do you think that JessException an invalid class? Thank you for any suggestions.
Ana