Hi Stephane,

Sure, you could use salience.  However, salience is a spice best used sparingly lest it spoil the dish.  Try to arrange your rules in modules and use other techniques like goal-seeking (you will need to do your homework on this) first before you resort to manipulating salience values.  Jess is less sensitive to this now, but it pays to be careful and not try to "force" rules to fire in a specific order.

Take a peek at the wiki article http://www.jessrules.com/jesswiki/view?SalienceUsageTips  first.
There are also good examples and a discussion of pitfalls in the book "Expert Systems: Principles and Programming, Fourth Edition, by   Joseph C. Giarratano, Gary D. Riley , ISBN: 0534384471 .  Check back here if you are still stuck.

Cheers,
Jason
Jason C. Morris
Worcester Polytechnic Institute     Phone: (508) 831-5006
Department of Computer Science      FAX:   (508) 831-5776
Fuller Laboratories - Room 312      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Artificial Intelligence Lab (AIRG)
100 Institute Road
Worcester, MA 01609-2280