I think Henrique Lopes Cardoso wrote:

> Just stating the class to be Serializable made it work, that is, bsave()
> does not complain anymore and after bload()ing the functions work as
> expected.
>

> I then tried with a simpler example, which got me the
> NotSerializableException again...

NotSerializableExceptions have the offending class name as the
exception message; what class is it complaining about? Note that Jess
can't do anything to make a serializable class non-serializable.

> My question is: why does this approach work only sometimes?

There must be something else going on; I would double-check that all
the Userfunction class files were up to date with the source, and that
everything that's supposed to be serializable really is.

> Is this approach recommendable[?]

Yes, definitely. Jess's "built-in" functions aren't actually special
in any way; they're just serializable Userfunctions.