On Oct 12, 2006, at 9:57 AM, KUMAR, Sunil S wrote:

Hi, Thank you for the response. In our case most of the calculations are on the RHS side of the rule. Does that mean we should write our calculations/formulas in Jess? Also, we are very familiar in Java than in Jess. At this point we are hard pressed for time. That is the reason we are trying to understand if there are any performance implications in using java/jess.

The performance of a mathematical function written in Java will be virtually always be a little better than the same function written in Jess. In a typical rule-based system, functions called on the left- hand-side of a rule are called much more often then those called on the right-hand-side, and so rewriting left-hand-side functions in Java is often worth the effort.

For functions called only on the right-hand-side of a rule, the small performance difference is unlikely to matter much. Then other factors are more important -- for example, you may prefer to write the functions in whichever language makes them easier to write.

Of course, these are generalizations, and there's no substitute for actual profiling. Don't put a lot of work into doing something that doesn't matter; the first step in any optimization should always be profiling the code.