The solution is simple ... you need to use a FuzzyRete object and not a Rete
object ...
see the user guide FuzzyJess section ...

How to use the Fuzzy Extensions with Jess
To use the extension with Jess is really quite simple. You need to have access
to the FuzzyJ Toolkit and FuzzyJess packages (nrc.fuzzy and nrc.fuzzy.jess).
These will have been obtained with the appropriate licence requirements being
met. Normally these will be in a Java jar file for easy inclusion in the
classpath variable. The only other thing that is required is that instead of
using the Rete object in programs, you must use the FuzzyRete object. For
convenience the classes nrc.fuzzy.jess.FuzzyConsole and
nrc.fuzzy.jess.FuzzyMain have been provided and they can simply replace any use
of jess.Console or jess.Main.

Consider the code for FuzzyMain:

public class FuzzyMain extends Main
{
  public static void main(String[] argv)
  {
    FuzzyMain m = new FuzzyMain();
    m.initialize(argv, new FuzzyRete());
    m.execute(true);
  }
}

and the code for FuzzyConsole:

public class FuzzyConsole extends Console
{
  public FuzzyConsole(String name)
  {
    super(name, new FuzzyRete());
  }

  public static void main(String[] argv)
  {
    new FuzzyConsole("Fuzzy Jess Console").execute(argv);
  }
}

To start the FuzzyConsole one might execute a command line similar to the one
to start the standard Jess Console:

java -classpath "%classpath%";f:\fuzzyjtoolkit\fuzzyj15a.jar;.\
nrc.fuzzy.jess.FuzzyConsole

with appropriate entries in the -classpath option to allow all necessary
classes to be located. If you have been able to use standard Jess then you will
no doubt have little trouble using FuzzyJess.

Bob Orchard
National Research Council Canada      Conseil national de recherches Canada
Institute for Information Technology  Institut de technologie de l'information
1200 Montreal Road, Building M-50     M50, 1200 chemin Montréal
Ottawa, ON, Canada K1A 0R6            Ottawa (Ontario) Canada K1A 0R6
(613) 993-8557
(613) 952-0215 Fax / télécopieur
[EMAIL PROTECTED]