Friedman-Hill  "JESS IN ACTION"  should get you out of trouble.
If you want to use two texts to get different versions of the same ideas....
Giarratano and Riley "Expert Systems: Principles and Programming" has
several chapters on CLIPS... which was the the C implementation of an
expert systems shell. The basic principles and much of the language are
found in JESS. I have the third edition... Chapter 7 seems to be the one
to get you started. You should be able to work directly in JESS.

Rob Kildare
==============Original message text===============