We're pleased to announce the availability of release 7.1b1 of Jess, the programmer's rule engine, from the usual location:

http://www.jessrules.com/download.shtml

This is the first beta release of this development version of Jess. There are several important bug fixes in Jess 7.1b1, as well as a few interesting new features. As we get closer to the final release of Jess 7.1, we invite you to "kick the tires" and try it out, if you haven't already; your feedback is valuable and helps us make Jess the best rule engine available.

From the change log:

               Fix bug attempting to resolve blank variables (thanks
               Bob Kirby.) Optimization: cull rule binding table at
               compile time.  Allow 'test' CE inside 'logical' (thanks
               Denis Berthier). Deprecate Activation.isInactive() (has
               returned only 'false' for several releases.) Fixed bug
               wherein activations of deleted rules could persist
               (thanks Florian Fischer). "batch" can accept a
               charset. Fix bug with "slot-specific" and "not"
(Fischer.) Dot notation for Bean properties of Java objects. Added "Rete.hasActivations()". Fix concurrency issues with
               peered Retes during "clear().