Is the equality comparison using "==" or "equals"?

-Russ
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Ernest Friedman-Hill
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2008 2:26 PM
To: jess-users
Subject: Re: JESS: Performance question

On Aug 29, 2008, at 12:58 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> The performance of the second version is much slower, especially as
> the number of facts increases. Is this just the overhead of my
> function call vs. "equals".  Does anyone have suggestions about
> possible restructuring of the problem that might minimize the calls
> necessary?.

For an equality comparison, Jess can use the hashcodes of the tested
values to sort the facts into bins, and then actually do the comparison
on only a comparatively small fraction of th facts. This is a big win.
For a function, though, Jess has to do *all* the comparisons, since it
doesn't know how to organize the data to eliminate any.

> As a side note, I'm noticing that the performance of Jess7.1p1 is
> slower than 70p2.    I was expecting  a performance increase because
> of the use of the "test" CE but that doesn't seem to be making a
> difference.

Jess 7.1 has a lot of different optimizations, some for speed, some for
space, and there's always a tradeoff between these two. Some programs do
run faster (some *much* faster), while others might run a little slower.
If you're seeing a nontrivial slowdown, though, I'd be interested in
hearing the details.

Informatics & Decision Sciences, Sandia National Laboratories PO Box
969, MS 9012, Livermore, CA 94550 http://www.jessrules.com

in the BODY of a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED], NOT to the list (use
your own address!) List problems? Notify [EMAIL PROTECTED]