Hello,

It would be much easier to write rules necessary for my application,
were it possible to assert that a new fact completely replaces an old
one: this needs to replace all references to the old fact with
references to the new fact.

This is more than just retracting the old fact, and asserting the new
one, because that does not update the references.

Without this ability, I must write many variant rules to handle all
the references that need to be replaced.

In general, the holders of a replaced fact are not related by
inheritance (and can't be faked that way).

This seems to me like a reasonable thing to want to do, and something
that could probably be done efficiently.  Perhaps I'm just obtuse, but
I don't see a way to do it. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Art