Are you talking about defaults?  If so, then the java object itself
can set the default state of the slot.  However, there's really
nothing that either Jess or Java is going to provide to help you set
up the initial state of a system which cannot be set up via some
algorithm.  If there is no programatic way to produce the initial
state pattern, then you'll have to do it the long way, by setting up
each slot state explicitly.