May I suggest you take a look at Tohu?

http://community.jboss.org/wiki/Tohu

   It is a small framework to do, it seems, exactly what you
described. It is built on top of Drools, but even if you prefer to
write your own framework on top of Jess, it can probably give you
ideas for your own design. Need to say, though, that I never used it
myself, so not sure how good/bad it is, but the video demo is nice.

> Lets not forget, even the Drools reference area (and JBoss Rules / Drools
> Developer Book) recommends you read: "Jess in Action: Java Rule-based Systems"

   It is an excellent book for people that want to learn about
Rule-based Systems, so why not recommend it? :) Being a Drools
developer, I can tell you that we always had a good relationship with
the Jess community, and we have much more to gain by cooperating than
competing. That is not to detract from one engine or the other, it is
just the open source way of promoting innovation and education and
building upwards from the shoulders of the giants that came first...
:)

   Cheers and Happy New Year!

   Edson