From: Derek Shen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Apr 3, 2005 8:51 PM
Subject: portlet session and http session
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Alright, I know that it is an old issue, around which a lot of
discussion have been made.

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/[EMAIL PROTECTED]&msgId=2101721

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/[EMAIL PROTECTED]&msgId=2101707

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PLUTO-53

Some people said that it has been resolved by tomcat and some others
claimed that it is only working on Jetty and not tomcat. I am totally
confused. It seems a very trivial problem. What I am trying to achieve
is so simple:

Inside the GenericPortlet doView, populate some data and put into the
PortletSession (eithe portlet scope or application scope), and
dispatch (include) to a JSP within the same webapp. On the JSP, JSTL
is used to retrieve and present the data from session
(${sessionScope...).

Everytime I run my portlet, I gives me this:

14:27:08,880 ERROR StandardWrapper[/portlet:jsp]:727 - Servlet.service() for se
vlet jsp threw exception
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot access session scope in page that does
ot participate in any session
       at org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.doGetAttribute(PageContext
mpl.java:264)
       at org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.getAttribute(PageContextIm
l.java:249)
       at org.apache.taglibs.standard.lang.jstl.ImplicitObjects$3.getValue(Imp
icitObjects.java:633)

I am using the tomcat 5.5.4 comes with the latest Pluto.

I tried to follow this solution:
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/wholder/archive/2005/02/session_session.html

Using tomcat 5.5.x, set crossContext="true" and set
emptySessionPath="true". It does not help, still the same exception.

Someone please please help. Thanks!
Derek