As I said a few emails back:

"Also, there is a new rewriter framework in the cvs but it hasn't yet
been integrated into the WebPagePortlet."
                                                              ^
Let me try again:

Also, there is a new rewriter framework in the cvs but it has NOT yet
been integrated into the WebPagePortlet.
                                                               ^
So your handleSimpleTag methods will never get called, since the class
is NOT being executed.
I was just pointing out that there is a potentially better rewriter
available.