I've encountered a problem with the current Jetspeed and Netscape 4.7x
regarding deeply nested tables and CCS causing netscape to freeze and/or
crash.  After browsing through the jetspeed-users group I can see this is a
known problem.   Unfortunately for me Netscape 4.76 is the official
corporate browser here.  I have been working on a general template
solution, but it is becoming clear that Netscape 4.7x is broken enough that
it needs it's own set of templates.

This suggests a feature of Jetspeed that I think would be nice, but that
requires some thought to implement cleanly.   I thought I'd throw out my
initial ideas on this for general comment.

Feature Proposal: Allow for template choice based on browser type.

 >>> rough idea >>>
# TR.p Template set choice routed based on browser
browser.router.enable=true
browser.router.match="Netscape 4.7", netscape_default.vm   ( or
alternatively "Netscape 4.7*", netscape )
browser.router.match="lynx", text_default.vm
(or)
browser.router.enable=true
browser.router.match.netscape=Netscape 4.7%
browser.router.match.text=lynx%,%unknown%
<<< rough idea <<<

and have the browser router use this data to route you to a different set
of templates similar to the way language routing takes place.  If a
particular browser doesn't have templates it would of fall back to the
default so that you would only have to define special templates for problem
browsers.

I have a sinking feeling that the answer to many of the questions below is
'Turbine'.  Ok, I'll download the tdk, read the docs and get busy. :\

Questions:
- Is there an idea of template sets in jetspeed that could be used for
this?   I'm digging in the language stuff to figure out the answer to that
question and see if there is anything I can use there, at first glance it
doesn't look like it.
- Is adding another layer of directories to the mix is a good idea; there
might be some name pattern that could be applied, ie
vm/layouts/html/en/default_netscape.vm.  Or should it add to the directory
path similar to language?
- If it follows the directory path solution, were should the point be?  the
end?
- Is there a chaining mechanism that allows for a configurable set of
events to happen during request processing and template selection that I
can plug into?