Roger,

This is great. I have a couple questions/comments.
See below.

--- Roger Ruttimann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The following proposal describes how J2 handles
> single sign-on (SSO). I
> gathered ideas from several people and the proposal
> below came together
> with input from Randy Watler and David Taylor.
> Proposal
> ------------
> The J2 framework will be extended with a component
> (SSOCredentials) that
> does a lookup in the database to find credentials
> for a site (url) and a
> jetspeed user. The credentials could be assigned to
> a user, group or a
> role (Priority needs to be defined like User, Group,
> Role or better
> order should be customizable).

Does this mean, that you will modify the login module
so that upon authentication, you add a private or
public credential (which one) to the security Subject?
 By doing so, the SSOCredential could be mapped to the
principal (currently supported in the security layer
for any type of principals).

Will the SSOCredential basically become another type
of credential in the security framework? Or am i
missing something?

Accessing a resource becomes simple, the Subject has
the principals and the credentials, a component can
perform the match and grant or deny access.  I guess I
am getting a little confused, when you talk about
SSOCredential API (a little below).

> For the first implementation two modes will be
> supported:
>
> Username/password (HTTP Post)
> --> Portlets (IFrame, Webpage) will call into
> SSOCredentials with the
> site (url) and the principal. The returned
> credentials can be used to
> add them as parameters to the URL
>
> Basic Authentication (HTTP Basic Authentication)
> --> Since many sites use Basic Authentication
> another API updates the
> request so that it uses BasicAuthentication with the
> credentials
> returned by the lookup (site, principal).
>
> At a later stage the SSOCredential API could be
> extended with
> certificates and cookie based authentication.
>
> Implementation
> --------------------
> The credentials for the site can be entered in two
> ways:
>
> --> If a user tries to access a secured site (lookup
> in SSOCredentials
> API fails) a dialog will pop up and ask if the
> credentials for that site
> should be stored in the SSO credentials table. For
> any future requests
> the credentials will be found by the lookup.
>
> --> Using the SSO Admin portlet. This is necessary
> for assigning
> credentials to groups and roles and to update or
> clean credentials.

If you decided to leverage some of the security
framework stuff, managing this association is
basically managing the assoc credential where
credential is of type (SSOCredential) to principal.

Regards,

David Le Strat.