Hello -

We are developing a portal prototype to be used in a demo for the Canadian gov (GoC). A significant requirement is JSR 168 compliance.
Our demo is targetted for completion in 3-4 weeks.
Requirements summary is:

- 4-5 portlets
- rendering via JSPs and XSLT
- no frames, no min/max/help/edit buttons; maybe even no title bar
- use of PortletSession to track user navigation (breadcrumbs)
- possibly some minimal inter-portlet communication (TBD)
- must be stable enough to be used in a demo
- tight schedule, so I don't want to be upgrading to Jetspeed fixes on
a regular basis.

Our initial thinking was to use Jetspeed 2.0. Having looked briefly at J2, I am concerned that its "alpha version" characteristics (robustness, bug list, lack of "how to" doc, design changes, etc.) is a risk factor.

My current understanding is that 1.6 is being retrofitted for JSR168 support (read a post by Raphaël Luta to that effect). So the questions are:

1. Is 2.0 stable enough for our requirements? (The JIRA stats look sort of scary)
2. What is the projected stable release date for a JSR 168 compliant 1.6?
3. What is the next projected release date/version for 2.0?
4. Will 2.0 have better "How To" documentation soon?

Note: I would really appreciate David Sean's input to this question.

Thanks.

Mike R.
Application Architect
AAFC (GoC)